Saturday, November 22, 2014

Dad's Favorites


I discovered my new favorite sandwich place yesterday, and it is so so SO good. And it just so happens to be Kentucky Proud as well. 

Called "Dad's Favorites," this small business started when a man (who just so happens to be a dad) decided he wanted to share his delicious cheese spreads with the world... and turned it into a successful business, selling the cheese wholesale and opening his own (amazing) deli that I visited when I came home to Lexington this weekend.


Dad's Favorites is located in the Garden Springs shopping center, wedged between a coin laundry, a shoe repair place, and a barber shop. Although I had the address typed into maps on my phone, it took me a good ten minutes to actually find the place because I wasn't expecting to find a restaurant in this little old strip mall type building. 


Luckily I eventually spotted this sign and headed inside. When you walk in, the picture on the right is what you see. With how hard it was for me to find, I was surprised by how many people were enjoying their own lunches here, especially since I went later than the normal lunch rush. 

Granted, after trying it for myself, I can understand why. I love club sandwiches and I love spicy food, so when I got up to the counter I ordered a Pepper Jack Club, and I was not disappointed. I made it a Dad's Combo with a bag of chips and a refreshing cup of Ale8, and I ate the whole thing not 5 minutes after getting it. 





Also, all of that food together was only about $8, and I was totally stuffed after that. PLUS the Dad himself offers free cheese samples near the counter, and he'll tell you all about them as you stuff your face.

While I was ordering, I overheard how the brand's beer cheese came into being... Basically, he said that he never planned on making a beer cheese because everybody and his brother around Kentucky makes their own beer cheese and thinks it's the best, but then the boys at Country Boy Brewing (a local Kentucky microbrewery) and him got to talking and they came up with a beer cheese recipe using locally brewed beer.

I didn't have time to try it or any of the other spreads (except the Pepper Jack one from my sandwich!) since my 16 year old puppy was waiting for me in the car. So, I can't actually say anything specific about how good I'm assuming the "Stampin' Ground Cheddar Spread" (beer cheese) is... But the fact that this local business supports other Kentucky Proud businesses makes it that much cooler, and it was already awesome just because of how tasty my sandwich was!


Also, seeing the huge case of cheese spreads for sale, I decided I had to grab a tub to bring home to my parents. They're available at one for $6 or two for $10, and as you can see Katie (my dog) wanted a bite as soon as I got in the car... and my dad's already eaten over half of the one that I brought back. 

If that's not a good recommendation then I don't know what one is... anyway, if you're in the area, GO to Dad's Favorites. Short on time? They offer a carry out/delivery/ready when you arrive option. Just call or fax your order to (859) 309-1930. More information including menu on their website. (Link HERE)

Now you really don't have an excuse, so try this local Kentucky business because I'm serious when I say I just found my new favorite sandwich. 



No comments:

Post a Comment