Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Apple Pie

It's finally officially fall now, and I'm super excited about it. The weather is perfect, the leaves will be turning soon, and there are so many great fall desserts to make (and eat!).

My first fall-inspired project was this old fashioned lattice apple pie. After picking up a few pounds of locally grown apples at Boyd's last weekend, I was ready to make my very first made-from-scratch pie.

First things first, I whipped up some dough for the pie crust using my food processor and this recipe. After a slight mishap (6 cups of water is definitely not the same thing as 6 tablespoons!), the dough turned out perfect, and I put it in the fridge to chill for a little while.




Before making this pie, I'd always heard that the hardest part was making the crust, but making it in a food processor using the recipe above makes it super simple. The hardest part for me was peeling and slicing all of the apples up. 

The recipe called for 3 lbs of sliced apples, which amounts to about 8 cups. This is the most labor-intensive and time consuming part of making a pie.

After probably an hour and a half of peeling and cutting, and a couple of slightly sliced fingers, I finally had all of the apples I needed (and a few embarrassing bandages).

After putting all of the apple slices in a large bowl, I mixed up the ingredients for the filling and coated the apples with it. Again I used the recipe above, but I wasn't as happy with the results of the filling as I was the crust for this recipe.


I think next time I make a pie I'm going to try a different recipe for the filling and I'm going to use some kind of green apple instead of gala because although this pie was delicious, it was missing the tartness that I love in an apple pie.


But back to the baking! The last few steps were to roll out the crust, fill the pie, and make the lattice pattern on top. Once again, a slight edit I would like to make for the next time I bake a pie is to bake the bottom pie crust for a few minutes before filling it.


Overall I'd say this pie turned out pretty well for a first try, but the apples I used were so juicy that the bottom crust wasn't quite as crispy as I wanted it to be, plus as I mentioned before I think I should've used green apples rather than red. 

Anyway, that's my Kentucky Proud Pie! So if you're in the mood to try something new, pick up some fresh and locally grown fruit of your own and try your hand at making a pie from scratch... even if things don't go quite perfectly, I can almost guarantee it'll be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment