Monday, September 1, 2014

Ale-8-One


Ok, so it has been awhile since I've posted. I've been traveling for soccer and when you're only in town three days per week it's kind of hard to do a lot of exploring in your own state. 

This past weekend I actually went on some adventures in Chicago since my team was playing UIC, but that's not Kentucky, and this is a Kentucky blog... So! Today's post: Ale-8-One, Kentucky's nonalcoholic drink of choice. 

Why? Born in 1926 by a native Kentuckian, it is the only surviving soft drink invented in our state. It's bottled in Winchester and available only in Kentucky and limited parts of Ohio and Indiana.

And, it's delicious. 

So, what is Ale-8-One? Well, first of all it's what everyone I know calls Ale-8, although Ale-8-One is the official name of the drink. In case you were wondering, the full name is a play on words ("a late one") because the drink has a lot of caffeine and sugar in it. 

I actually just finished another Ale-8 while writing this post, and I can feel the caffeine buzz already, but anyway... Basically, Ale-8 is just ginger ale, but personally I have never tasted a regular ginger ale that tastes nearly as good as the Kentucky version.

It's actually the only soft drink I drink since I gave up all soda in the 8th grade... To tell the truth I didn't even drink Ale-8 again until this spring when I finally caved and had the one pictured above while fishing with my boyfriend and some friends. 

I don't know why I ever gave it up in the first place. 

Now, this drink is available at nearly every grocery store and most gas station convenient stores in Kentucky. With regular, diet, or caffeine-free options, Ale-8 comes in two liters, plastic bottles, glass bottles, and cans. But, if you're going to try it for the first time after reading this post I only ask one thing: Drink it in a glass bottle.

There's something awesomely old-fashioned about drinking soda from a glass bottle with a metal cap, and it just tastes so much better that way. The caps are twist off, so don't let the lack of a bottle opener discourage you, and pick up a six pack the next time you're in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment