Thursday, September 11, 2014

Dave and Judy's Diner



Today's post is extra special because it's about a local restaurant that I never expected to actually get to eat at. 

I'm not entirely sure about its history, but I do know that Dave & Judy's Diner was open for a number of years, then at some point in 2013 they closed permanently. Although it was already closed by the time I met him, Kameron mentioned multiple times how much he liked this place, and especially their cheap but filling breakfast. So, when I found out about a week and a half ago that they re-opened just for the month of September, I was determined to go before they close again. 


Every September, bluegrass artists gather in Morehead for the Poppy Mountain Music Festival. It's the longest running traditional bluegrass festival in the country, and apparently it's a pretty big deal. This is the 22nd year of the festival according to the official facebook page, and it's also the reason that Dave and Judy's is open this month.

I'm hoping to make it to the Poppy Mountain Music Festival on one of the days this year, but between practice and games  that may be a little tough. It's running September 16-20, and sounds like a lot of fun, so we'll see!

Back to Dave and Judy's Diner though.

Kam and I made it for breakfast right after church this past Sunday. There weren't a whole lot of people there, but it was 11 o'clock in the morning after all.


The inside of the diner is adorable. Between the wall decorations and the traditional black and white checkered diner floor, I was sold. I wish I had a few more pictures, but I felt a little odd and touristy with all the pictures I was taking to begin with.



Besides the atmosphere of Dave and Judy's, my favorite non-food related part about the overall experience was the fact that our waitress brought us our drinks in mason jars. Sure, that might seem like a silly detail to get excited about, but there's something awesomely southern about drinking from a mason jar... especially if you're like Kameron and order sweet tea.


But enough about all that. Let's get to the food. As promised, Dave and Judy's is super affordable but delicious. I ordered pancakes with bacon, and Kam ordered biscuits and gravy with eggs and sausage on the side, and all of that food together cost around $16. Apparently this is a little bit more than their prices were in the past, but I considered it totally worth it. 


Yumm. There's seriously nothing like a good, big ol' Sunday breakfast to make your day great. I think my favorite was the bacon, but I'm a fan of most bacon, and everything else was great too. 

Also, I should probably mention that breakfast actually isn't what Dave and Judy's is most famous for. They have lunch and dinner also, and I've heard they have fantastic barbeque... I'm hoping to make it back for dinner before the end of the month as well, but I don't know if we'll have a chance. 


Regardless, this food was amazing, and if you're in the area from now until the end of the month stop by and get some Dave and Judy's, or check their facebook page and maybe they'll be open up again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment